Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Preparing for the Trip (an update from Jamin)

Well we’re less than 20 days away from leaving for Kenya! I (Jamin) have been finding luggage, taking inventory of my clothing, and soon I’ll be getting poked with all manner of vaccines to keep me safe overseas. It has been an exciting time preparing my heart for this missions trip. Personally I’ve never been on a missions trip longer than one day, I’ve never seen third world poverty, and I’ve never dealt with a language and literacy barrier. For all of these unknowns perhaps the most notable part of missions trip preparations has been peace. Though there might be much unknown, our God is known, and I am confident he will be enough. That said It is time for a quick update on what we’ll be doing!

 

 We’ll arrive Monday June 7th after too many hours to think about in the air. On this day we’ll be serving at New Life Home orphanage. This orphanage serves discarded children, many of them diagnosed with HIV. The aids epidemic has ravaged Kenya, and many of these children are born with the virus, having done nothing to contract it themselves. This orphanage nurses them to health many of them, by God’s grace, to a complete life free of HIV. It is literally a New Life Home.

 

Day 2 we’ll travel to the costal village of Malindi. This is where we’ll spend of bulk of our journey. The following days in and around Malindi we’ll be doing construction work on Mercy Centers, that in partnership with Mission of Mercy, provide food, clothing, education, and a chance to hear the Gospel to the children of this area. We’ll be mudding, plumbing, roofing, and doing anything we can to help them. At the same time we’ll host vacation bibleschools for the children at these centers, telling them about Christ through stories, games, and songs.

 

Finally we’ll join these people in worship on Sunday, and spend one last day sharing life with these people. Tuesday June 15th we’ll travel to Mombasa, on the coast to the South East, begin the long journey home.

 

Some have asked me: Jamin, what do you expect? The answer is honestly that I don’t know. I do know there are people I have yet to meet who need to know that they can have peace with God. Someone told me, and I want to tell them. I don’t know how to do it yet, but God is sufficient. Thank you for your prayers in the days ahead!

 

Blessings,

 

Jamin

 

No comments:

Post a Comment